Monday, June 7, 2010

My spanish is no bueno

First, a few words.

Hot.
Sticky.
Sweaty.

We have had sporadic rain and thunderstorms throughout the day.  I hear this is typical of the rainy season.

This is the view from our patio with the sun peaking through.


Today was a good day!  We had a leisure morning and then went over to the school to talk about the kids attending.  The director didn't speak any english, and Genevieve was too embarrassed to translate.  I really thought I could get by with my sucky spanish, but there are not too many people here that speak any english.  Talking with the director today (and I use word "talk" loosely as there was an awful lot of miming going on) was motivation for me to really work on my spanish.  So yah.  If you want an immersion experience for yourself or kids, I think Samara is a good choice!




Luke took the kids to the beach while I took the bus to Nicoya to get the rest of the kids school uniforms.  It was a 1 hour bus ride through beautiful lush foliage.  I found the tienda and bought the supplies and headed to the super mercado grande for some groceries.

From the bus....

Some pics of Nicoya....



They actually have real grocery stores there.  Shopping back in Samara is like shopping in a campground store.  Small, over-priced food, and not quite everything you need.  The store in Nicoya has most everything, but a lot of it is crazy prices.  For example, a block of parmesan cheese was $25!  Needless to say, I didn't buy it!

We had a nice dinner of spaghetti, garlic bread, and watermelon on our porch.



The bugs here are huge and plentiful. If I could just get used to the occasional sighting of these guys both outside and inside our villa, I'll be fine (does a dozen in 24 hours qualify as occasional?).


I know there was more excitement today, but it all runs together.  I'll try to post more often when it's fresh in my memory.

I'm off to bed since the kids start school at 7:00 am tomorrow. No, that wasn't a typo.  Siete!!!! (which is like 6:00 am until our bodies adjust to the time change).  Did I mention we don't have an alarm clock?
They are in school from 7:00 to 11:20.  The older grades go in the afternoon.  Hoping for a good day for the kids tomorrow.  Genevieve was a little nervous tonight, and I don't blame her.  I hope the little niños are nice to my kids!

Buenos noches!

2 comments:

  1. Love the updates!!! Looks like your having a wonderful time!! Hope the kids first day at school goes well... God Bless.. xo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are so brave taking the bus by yourself! Glad it is all working out!

    ReplyDelete