Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Contacts

Finding local contacts is key in this kind of trip.  I thought I had hit the jackpot in the contacts department, but unfortunately "my source" has been less helpful than I had hoped.

You can find contacts in lot's of ways.  I scour the internet for forums, reviews, websites and blogs to find people I think can help answer my questions.  Expats can be a gold mine of information.

Right now there is a family who owns a vacation house in Samara (right across from the place I plan on staying).   They are there with their  kids who are attending the school I plan to have my kids attend.    They have a website dedicated to raising funds for said school.  They should be a wealth of information.  But they answer my questions with the bare minimum.  Very frustrating.  And that is part of the reason for this blog.  If I can help you to not reinvent the wheel, then I will be thrilled!  This is an exciting opportunity, and we should be helping each other!

Here is an expert from my last e-mail to my "source".


What are the school hours?  

I just purchased our flights, and we will be there June 6-July 19th.  Who is your contact person at the school?  Should I contact them ahead of time about my kids attending, or just enquire at the school when we get there?

They have a preschool program as well?   Do you know how old the kids have to be to attend?

My kids will be 8 (entering 3rd grade), 6 (entering 1st grade), and turning 3 on 6/24. 

I am talking to the owner at XXXXXX, and am hoping to stay there.  I loved your house, but it is out of my price range for this trip unfortunately.  Maybe in the future.

Samara isn't the easiest place to find lot's of information on, so I am eating up any details I can get my hands on.  I appreciate anything you can tell me.  

Thanks!

And this was the source's reply

the hours at the school vary.  your three year old is too young for the public school.  there is another program that costs money at the patio colonial.  lenina would take all of your children there.  the two older ones should be able to attend.  you will have to ask when you get here.  XXXXX is right across the street from [our house].
the director name at the school is lourdes.  she can answer all of your questions but in spanish

No comments:

Post a Comment