Sunday, February 7, 2010

Are my plans falling apart?


So, I thought I did my homework.

Back when I was researching Antigua as my destination, I was originally planning to go over the kids winter break plus miss an additional 2 of weeks of school. The reason being is the winter is my husbands slow time of work and I thought he could possibly take a month off to be with us. But I found out that Guatemala schools are off the month's of December and January because it is their "summer break".
That's when I started getting the crazy idea of bumping up the trip to our summer (June/July) and doing the trip mostly as a single mom.

I thought I had done my homework.

I booked our tickets.

We were to leave June 5th (the kids would miss the last week of school) as we are using miles to purchase our tickets and we could use less miles by going earlier.
Tonight I found out that Costa Rica takes a 3 week school break from July 5th through July 24th. 3 of our 6 weeks. Half our trip!

So now I am wondering will the public school even take my kids for 3 weeks?

I did find out about a program in Samara called CREAR .
They provide after school programs and summer enrichment programs for the local kids of Samara. The key word is local. That doesn't stop this mamá loca though. I put in an e-mail to see if my kids can participate too. I'm anxious to see what they say.

I was really looking forward to the consistency of them being in school for 6 weeks though. But, such is life in a 3rd world country. You have to learn to roll with punches, otherwise you will just be consumed with frustration.

Oh, one more thing I learned tonight. The schools are typically only in session for 4 hours a day! Now that is muy loco!

No comments:

Post a Comment