Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Resourceful Mama

When I found out on Monday that Dane needed white shoes for his Kindergarten dance performance on Wednesday, what's a mama to do?

My boys don't have white shoes.  I know that some do, but my boys....lets just say they've never met a puddle that they didn't befriend.  The muddier, the better.

I'm not cheap, but I was not about to go buy white shoes that would only be worn for three 2-minute performances.

So I made these.

What are they?  They are an old pair of brown Van's that had a hole in the toe, and technically are outgrown (but he could still get his feet in, albeit a little uncomfortable).  I first tried spray painting them white.  The rubber around the bottom turned out great. But the paint wouldn't stick well to the canvas fabric.  So then I tried brushing them with house paint.  Um... they looked awful.

Ah ha,  I got it!  Felt.  I cut out and glued white felt onto the shoes.  It was kind of a sloppy job, but it worked!  And up on stage, no one is the wiser.

Sometimes I'm kind of proud of myself for my resourcefulness.  Is that bad?


2 comments:

  1. Not bad at all lady! You did good, and I am cracking up because I probably would have tried something similar! I can't stand buying anything that is only going to be worn or used once!

    ReplyDelete