Sunday, January 18, 2009

Computer & Mexico

Update on the crashed computer:

I found a guy via a friend of a friend who was able to retrieve all my data off the hard-drive. It cost $125, which I felt was a great deal considering my quote from Drive Savers for $2500. I then took my computer to apple so they could replace the hard-drive. Just got a call from apple, that it appears my hard-drive is working, and that something else was wrong with the computer to make it impossible to access the hard-drive. Ummmmmm, it would have been nice if they figured that out and told me BEFORE I went and PAID MONEY to have my data retrieved. THANK GOD we did not go to Drive Savers. Could you imagine if I paid $2500 to retrieve my data only to find out that it was never "lost" in the first place???? Apple just lost a few points in my book. They are the ones who told me that my HD was bad and to retrieve my data before I turned it over to them. 
I will up the computer tonight or tomorrow and will know for sure what the scoop is. I am also learning that "backing up" my data gets a bit more confusing and involved because I am running Parallels and Windows. The only reason I am running these programs is because Quickbooks Mac is a crappy program, and won't do everything we need it to do, so I am forced to use the Windows version. 

Way more than you ever wanted to know I'm sure.


Mexico! I realize from the different comments and e-mails that I never really explained WHY I took Genevieve to Mexico. Our elementary school has a Dual Immersion Program where students are taught in spanish starting in Kindergarten. It is a highly sought after program, and only half the school participates in this program. Priority is given by how many years you have lived in our town, and is open to the whole district, not just those who are supposed to go to our school. 

We have had Genevieve on the waiting list since Kindergarten, and she JUST got a placement half-way through first grade. We got the call right before Christmas Break. So I had this crazy idea of taking her to Mexico to give her a little boost in spanish before throwing her into her new class. You know, since she will be A YEAR AND A HALF behind the other kids. Well my crazy husband supported my crazy idea, and it became our crazy reality. Our business is technically closed between Christmas and New Years, so Luke was able to be home with the boys while us girls went on our little mother-daughter adventure.

It was a great trip. The town of San Miguel de Allende was beautiful. The language school was top-notch. But the best part was seeing Genevieve in a new element. Wow, the difference without siblings to bicker with! It was great. I'm secretly planning our next mother-daughter get-away, because I truly enjoyed our time together like no other. 

So Genevieve has been back in school for 2 weeks and she's doing great! The transition is going much smoother than I (or her new teacher) anticipated. I'm hoping that we can go somewhere this summer as a family to help keep up the spanish over the break.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Cool! What an experience, spanish learning or not! :)

    ReplyDelete