Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday ~ more fun in Mexico

Another great day here in San Miguel de Allende.  Getting up this morning was a bear.  Can't seem to get on the right time zone.  Genevieve is still awake again, and it's almost 10pm (but her body thinks it's 8pm).  You would think getting up at 7:30am (5:30am to our bodies) and all the walking we are doing would just make her pooped at night.  I get her in bed earlier and she just can't seem to sleep.  Unfortunately I am having the same problemo, but mine is no surprise since I have sleep "issues" in my normal life.

I'm not picking up the spanish as quickly as I had hoped.  Too many people know enough english around here that I can get by without making too much of an effort en espanol.  Kind of defeats the purpose, huh?  But when you are stumbling through your spanish and they clarify what you are saying in english, it's not very motivating.  It's not the case everywhere and with everyone, but the people here seem to be well-educated and have varying knowledge of the english language.

The coolest part about San Miguel is El Jardin, which I've mentioned before.  It's the town square where everything happens.  I love it.  On one side of the square is La Peroquia - huge gorgeous catholic church.  Today we got to see the festivities of a quincinerra taking place.  It was literally like a mini - wedding.  Heck, there was nothing mini about it.  There was a full on "bridal" party with girls in matching dresses, boys in tux's, and even a "groom",which I guess was her date.  There was no expense spared, let me tell you.  

I really love Main St in Pleasanton.  But it holds nothing to a town square.  I think every town should have one.  With little cafes and outdoor seating, a bank, a church, some restaurants, a little park in the middle. It's charming.

No real TIM moments today if you can believe that.  We've decided to walk most everywhere instead of the bus.  I didn't realize that the bus was only saving us a few blocks each way.  

More to write later.  I can only get one photo to upload.  It's of La Peroquia (not sure on spelling).  It's gorgeous at night when it's all lit up, as is the rest of El Jardin.

Adios for now!



1 comment:

  1. Seems like things are getting better and better and easier....what a great experience for both you and Genevieve...

    ReplyDelete