Sunday, December 28, 2008

here we go

Okay, yesterday was a rough one.  Let me start at the beginning.  We had a 12:50am flight from San Francisco.  Yes, you read that right - 12:50 in the middle of the night.  So we get on the plane and someone is sitting in our window seat.  Genevieve says "I want to sit by the window", and Seat Stealer who obviously thinks he is sitting in the right seat, says she can sit there for take-off, but then he needs it back because "he needs to get some sleep".  I'm irritated, but don't say anything because he thinks he is being nice.  THEN, a lady comes down the isle and says we are in HER seat.  So I take out our boarding passes and show her that we are in the right row, and Seat Stealer takes his out and realized he in the wrong ROW.  So we get our window seat, although still didn't get much sleep.

3 hours of flight and we get to the Dallas airport where we are supposed to have a 3 hour lay-over.  It's torturous.  I'm exhausted and there's nowhere to rest.  All seats have arms on them so there is no laying down (think they did that on purpose?).  Comfort is not much better than on the plane.  And Genevieve was on an adrenaline high.  Oh, but it gets better.  The 3 hour layover turns into 5.5 hours, as there was a storm in Dallas, and teh plane we were supposed to take was delayed.  Longest 5 hours of my life.  Especially because they kept saying another 15 min.  or 30 min.  or 45 minutes.  Then we got hungry and didn't have enough time to go get food.  LAME.  

We hop on the next plane - which was a teeny tiny 40 seater.  I didn't know this.  I didn't like this. No sleeping on this 2.5 hour leg either. Ugh.  

Finally get to the airport where we see the transportation service holding our name.  Awesome.  But wait.  We can't leave now because we have to wait for another person coming on another plane in another 40 minutes.  So we go to find some crappy over-priced airport food, and use the ATM.  I accidentally took out 200 pesos (instead of dollars - hey I was tired!), and paid a 75 peso transaction fee to do so.  Then I found out that the airport ATM has bad exchange rates anyways and I should wait.  

We go back to meet our transporter, and find out that the extra passenger we waited for, wasn't there.  Great.  We could now start on our 1.5 hour drive to San Miguel.  I ask the driver if he can take me to an ATM (he doesn't undertsand) so I say "bank".  He tells me that they close at 4:00, and it is already 3:45 because we had to wait for imaginary passenger.  

The drive to San Miguel was uneventful.  Genevieve chose to play her Leapster instead of look out the wimdow.  But in all truth there wasn't much to see.  

We FINALLY get to the B&B on the edge of town a little after 5:00.  Driver unloads our bags and knocks on the door for us.  No answer.  He calls the number for the B&B.  No answer.  Me, almost in tears asks "but what do I do?".  To which driver shrugs and says "I don't know. Wait?" And I realize he is also saying "hey look lady, I got you from point A to point B,  you're not my problem ".  So we sit on the cobblestone sidewalk of a street lined with walls, doors, and garages.  I use every ounce of strength I have to not completely lose it.  The one tear that escaped was quickly brushed away as I tried to hold it together for Genevieve.  

I call Luke.  He's worried, but also helpless.  So we wait.  About 30 very long minutes pass, and just as panic was beginning to set in, a car pulls up and a man gets out.  I ask if he is staying here.  He says it's his mom's place and he let's me in.  Apparently the B&B owner went to the store.  In all fairness I should have called to say our plane was delayed.  But I never would have guessed that nobody would be there.  So we were in.  But not in our room, because the son didn't know which would be ours.

We were exhausted.  And getting hungry.  After we got settled, it was close to 7pm.  We are assured the town is VERY safe, then told of a restaurant in walking distance.  So we go.  And it's dark.  And creepy.  And I'm doing the exact thing I said I wouldn't do.  Out at night alone in the dark.  Tired, hungry, and waiting for the banditos to jump out of the bushes.  However all was uneventful.  Found the restaurant.  Food was pretty good.  Genevieve didn't agree, but didn't whine and complain at least.  Poor kid is going to starve here.

Get back "home" and settle in for the evening.  And just about cry myself to sleep, thinking what have I gotten us into?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Amy, I am sorry your first day was so rough! I hope the rest of the week is fun and easy!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you...you will remember all the wonderful times and hopefully "laugh" at the first VERY hard evening....hopefully.

    ReplyDelete