Monday, November 17, 2008

Carving Time

The day before the big "H", the kids had fun carving away.  It's actually fun now that the kids can do their own pumpkins for the most part.  


I look at these pictures and I'm so torn.  Halloween is such a fun holiday for the kids.  It holds 3 of the most fun things you can do~
1.  Dressing Up
2.  Collecting candy.  Lot's of candy
3.  Stabbing large squash to create funny faces.  

What's not to love?

And it seems innocent enough.

The problem I have is the history of Halloween, and even what it still means to some today.  
Even though we are not participating in any kind of witch-craft or worshipping of spirits, I know that it is a significant day for people who do.  And just the fact that we are "celebrating" it in any way doesn't set well with me.

This year we went to the Candy Zone at our church.  Kind of a Halloween alternative.  Really a fun time for the kids.  But I still can't escape the fact that we are "celebrating" and partaking in a day laced with evil.  

So why don't we just NOT participate?  Well, part of it is that I don't want to be one of those parents.  And I want my kids to have fun.  And experience the excitement.  And I can't imagine not going to the pumpkin patch every year.

But really, those reasons don't appease my uneasiness.  I know that by even putting this in writing there will be those that think I'm nuts for making such a big deal of this.  And will already think I'm one of those parents.  But I'm just kind of working this out in my head, and using this blog to figure out my thoughts.  Not really sure what I'm going to do with this in the future.  Good thing I have 11 and a half months to figure it out.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we're one of "those parents" lol... have fun figuring it all out.. although, I think just being a follower of Christ makes you one "those parents" whether or not you choose to celebrate Halloween or not.
    I enjoyed this article on Halloween
    http://voxpopnetwork.com/voxpop/2006/10/10/gimme-some-sugar-baby/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Halloween. Just hate it. All the trouble, the expense, just the whole 9 yards. Every year I offer my kids a trip to Toys-R-Us instead of Halloween. Every year I fail.

    Would you believe we have never carved a pumpkin w/ our kids? LOL I have no idea why really. Next year will be the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm one of those parents too... believe it or not!

    i take the kids to the movies and we have a day of rest and fun. but this year, i asked what they wanted to do and they chose to have fun w/ me!! ;-) i think (hope) they understand why we don't celebrate this day.

    you'll make the decision for your family!

    ReplyDelete