Thursday, March 19, 2009

Soiled SUV


My friend Wendy is having a contest. A contest I should be embarrassed that I'm a contender in. But there is something liberating about airing your dirty laundry, or "Dirty DMV" (Dirty Mini Van). The one last cool factor that I still hold onto is the fact that I don't drive a minivan. Luke and I made a pact, even before we were married. There would be no minivan. Ever. Not to say I don't drool over the lower vehicles with automatic doors and whole slew of make-your-life-easier-with-small-children options. I do. But a pact is a pact. And to tell the truth I realize there is nothing cool about SUV's, unless you're a mom and you're proud that you held out from the minivan. Then you think you've still got an ounce of coolness left. But really you're just holding out on practicality.

I digress.

Back to the competition. I'm entering my Soiled SUV. Last week when Wendy announced her competition I was so bummed because I had just driven on a field trip so I had "cleared" out my SUV. Notice I didn't say "cleaned" out. Wendy replied "give it a week, and submit your pics". I thought, 'oh no, not this time. THIS time, I am keeping it free from junk. No more STUFF. I'm taking everything in every time I get home.' Well here we are 10 days later, and I'm a contender. And probably a pretty strong contender.


The pictures don't really do it justice, but here goes.
#1 - The dash - We've got a NKJV Bible, 3 diapers, 2 preschool projects, and a bunch of bandages/ointment for Zeke's newest burn.  Further down out of sight is a hat of Luke's.



#2 - The passenger seat.  Always the first to collect all the crap.  We have clothes I need to return to my SIL, about a weeks worth of mail (because that's how often I check our box at the end of the road), my giraffe purse, an empty lemonade container, another preschool project, and who knows what else underneath.  In the consol thingy is another diaper, an empty Hansen's can, a hair clip, mailbox keys, DVD remote, and probably some garbage.



#3 - The passenger seat floor - A McD's bag, a Toys R Us bag with a couple birthday gifts, and the backing to 200 postcard stamps.



#4 - the 2nd row - 1 jacket, 2 sweatshirts, a sweater, 2 teddy bears, a dance costume, an old (probably moldy) sippy cup, a pack of stickers and a lid to a missing cup.


The "trunk" of the car has actually been uneventful.  There are a couple pieces of cardboard for a project and a stroller.  Not Taylor style at all.

Luke wanted me to disclaim that he doesn't even like to to ride in my car.  I told him not too worry, as that seems to be the general rule with most husbands regarding the family car.  

It is, what it is....


2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. We are all in this together. trying to keep your DSUV clean is like swimming upstream ALL THE TIME. It just gets tiring. The only solution I can come up with is never leave your house. OR don't ever put anything in your car, especially your children. I think our husbands should start a support group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't drive mini vans either. And I have four kids! I'm an SUV'er too. :)

    Now seriously, you need to clean your car. LOL I remove items from my car every time I get out. With four kids. I have 3 things I keep in my car - 1.) a windshield visor that I never use. 2.) a blanket for Caibry. 3.) a doll for Caibry. If the others bring things in the car, they have to remove them when they remove themselves. :)

    Your car is like my husband's truck - I will NOT ride in his truck. Yuck.

    LOL :)

    ReplyDelete