Saturday, September 29, 2007

I do not like green eggs & ham....

Ohhhhh, but the Taylor kids do! We were getting pretty irritated that our chickens had not started laying eggs. We were told they would start laying by 4.5 months. This would have been some time in August. Here we've been feeding them, letting them tear up our flower beds, and letting the corner of our yard smell like a farm, all for NOTHING. Then Dane & his friend Augie were playing outside, and they ventured along the side of our house where Luke stores his paint and various other junkyard looking items. Nestled in some wild grass back there were some 25 green eggs! (The Americauna chicks we bought lay green/blue eggs). Apparently the hens aren't wild about the nesting box we made for them in the coop. We decided to get rid of the batch of 25 eggs not knowing which ones were old and which were new. And the very next day we went out to find FOUR more eggs.

And our ducks have started laying too! We have gotten 3 eggs from them in the last 3 days. I cracked one of each open, and they are beautiful inside. The yolk is a bright yellow, and the other part (I guess I should find out what it's called) is oh-so clear. The kids wanted me to hard boil them, so I did, and they gobbled them right up! Yum! If you want to try some FRESH eggs, let me know and I'll save you some.

No comments:

Post a Comment