Monday, July 16, 2007

Rounding the corner...


I felt so sick about this that I couldn't even blog about it. But now that we've "rounded the corner" so to speak, I finally feel I can share with you. I took Zeke in for his 2 week well-check on Thursday July 12th. To my surprise and horror, he was only 8lbs! He was 8 lbs 10 oz at birth. It is normal for babies to loose some weight (up to 10% is normal), and then they are expected be back to their birth weight within 10 days, then gain about an ounce a day thereafter. Zeke did loose the 10%, but was not gaining it back. At the time of the check-up he should have been close to 9 lbs. The problem is Zeke likes to sleep. He doesn't wake up to eat, nor does he cry when he's hungry. In fact. he doesn't appear to get hungry. So for the last 4 days I have been feeding him more frequently (2.5 hours), doing some pumping to stimulate my milk supply, making sure he get's FULL feedings, and setting the alarm at night to make sure he doesn't go more than 3 hours between night feedings. It has been really stressful, as I felt like I had failed him. I felt the pressure to make every feeding count so he wouldn't wither away.
Finally, we had a follow-up weight check today, and PRAISE GOD he has gained 8 ounces!

Keeping up with this schedule has made me really tired. If I haven't returned your call or e-mail, just know that I am still in a bit of a sleep-deprived fog. The phone has been ringing alot, and I feel like we are doing a lot of "entertaining" as we have had so many visitors (it's a bit exhausting). It has been overwhelming adjusting to life with 3, and to the lack of (or greatly interrupted) sleep. I had forgotten how hard these first few weeks can be. I feel bad for Genevieve & Dane as they have been homebound quite a bit. But slowly we will enter back into society and the normal swing of things.

Oh, and to top off everything - our A/C is broken!!!!! We have someone coming tomorrow to look at it though. Thankfully it has not been too hot these last couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment